Monday, September 8, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop


I received an invitation!


Today, I'm participating in the "Round the World blog hop" after being invited by the Swedish quilter Jenny at Tankar om tyg. The whole idea of this hop is to get to meet other bloggers and to learn a little more about one another by answering 4 questions.

 A lovely idea!
 Now it’s my turn to tell you a little about my life as a quilter.

Join me..here are some answers!





1)  What am I working on?

I have for quite a long time been working on a quilt that is a sequel to "Catwalk".
 Catwalk is a quilt that reflects on how the models in the fashion world may look like.
 An image of a female ideal, slim and beautiful. After that quilt it seemed natural to reflect on another feminine ideal, curvy and beautiful.
 And now the top is finished!

 First a look at Catwalk!




Then Curvy ladies...this is the projects name..
I haven't decided if that's the final name of it.


Here is a small gimps of how it's done.
 A very simple drawing....a finished block.
..and all the blocks.  


 

Three hours later the blocks are sewn together....



Now it's time for a really nice job.....decorate with stitches, paint and???
Then quilting!

Now...




2)  How does my work differ from others its genre

I think my signature is that I make my own patterns and designs. Characteristic of some of my quilts is how I build my blocks in a free manner. Each block will be unique and in disproportionate shapes. It makes the quilt more interesting, I think.
 Many of my quilts have houses as a motif. I've always liked houses.
 It's no ordinary houses that I sew, but houses in different shapes and colors to produce a tension and something interesting in the quilt.

In recent years, chairs have become a new motifChairs can look almost anyhow and a very fun and exciting object to interpret in different ways.



Here are some examples of House quilts.


Barns






Colts foot





Red cottages


 .




This is a quilt I made standing up cutting and sewing and cutting again...most fun!
I had a postcard as inspiration.





  Chairs!

There's a lot of different designs!




Let's dance!



Design






3) Why do I write/create what I do?



Sewing is a way of living! ..sort of lifestyle!
 It gives me an outlet for my creativity and desire to create. There is relaxation from everyday life and work. A way to fill up with energy and joy to be able to create something unique. I have always enjoyed working with my hands and preferably with the color, shape and textile materials. It has been with me since I was a child and my mother inspired me.
And a great studio is an inspiration too!






4) How does my writing/creative process work?

. I start making a very simple drawing which I develop as the project progress. I keep trying to find technical solutions how to sew in order to put together a useful block.
 I know what the motive is when I start but rarely how big the quilt will be.
 An exciting way to work!
 Inspiration comes when I’m visiting exhibitions,  reading books and magazines and of course by staying in different environments.
 And don’t forget internet and all lovely blogs! Great inspiration!

 I'm a person who can easily see colors and shapes at any place. It can be a combination of colors that triggers my thoughts and I get pictures in my head. Exercise and movement is important to me. Running, skiing or hiking in the mountains are a source of much inspiration. When I run the brain are released in a fantastic way and pictures of quilts and patterns emerge. Try it! 
Then I have a sketchbook where I make simple drawings and small notes. Absolutely necessary to remember! Then the ideas can lay in a drawer for years before they become a project in progress.

If you want to see more quilts...visit the gallery!



Finally I want to introduce an amazing quilter and blog to you.

Namely Jacquelin and her blog Bind story .
 Look at her amazing quilt Flowering Snowball Quilt at her latest post.
 Jacquelin will write the next post at Around the World Blog Hop next Monday.
 Good luck Jacquelin!

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy Quilting!
Margreth






8 comments:

  1. I love your creations!!! I think that my favorite is Red Cottages!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. Yes, Red cottages is one of my favorites too

      Delete
  2. Hi Margreth! I'm so happy you joined this blog hop and we could see and hear more about your amazing work! You are so talented quil-artist! I love your quilts! They are unique and fun with fantastic colours and themese! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margreth,
    Gorgeous array of beautiful quilts, definitely one of a kind. I love the colours, designs and free flow of the quilt style. I also love your studio where you work - an inspirational space to create xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your blog-every time.
    Louise D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i absolutely LOVE your quilts with the houses! your style is so unique and creative, all great pieces you have shown here. Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you get Jenny's blog to translate to English?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I was a bit confused by the posting, I thought it was about Jenny's quilts.

    Margreth your designs and quilt techniques really inspire me, so enjoyed looking at all of them!

    sue in CA

    ReplyDelete